Overview Logo
Article Main Image

Sumatra Disaster Update: 442 Dead, 402 Still Missing

Kompas

Indonesia

Sunday, November 30


Alternative Takes

The World's Current Take

Government Relief Efforts


JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com - The number of victims who died due to floods and landslides that hit a number of areas on Sumatra Island continues to increase.

The National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB) noted that as of Sunday (30/11/2025), a total of 442 residents had died and 402 people were still missing.

The data is an accumulation of data from three affected provinces, namely North Sumatra, West Sumatra, and Aceh, as reported by BNPB Head Suharyanto in a press conference on Sunday evening.

In Aceh, said Suharyanto, the death toll has reportedly increased to 96, while 75 people are still missing.

"As of today, Aceh, the death toll in Aceh has become 96 and 75 are missing," said Suharyanto in a press conference broadcast online.

The victims were located in 11 districts/cities in Aceh out of a total of 18 districts/cities affected by the disaster in the province.

On that occasion, Suharyanto also confirmed that Langsa City, which had previously been in the spotlight, was now accessible and no fatalities had been found.

"And it turns out there were no fatalities there. So hopefully, this is good news," he said.

Among the three provinces, North Sumatra was the region with the highest number of fatalities, namely 217 people with 209 people still missing.

"So, the death toll for North Sumatra is 217, those who died. Then, 209 are still missing," said Suharyanto.

He explained that many victims were found in South Tapanuli Regency, as search operations continued.

The number of refugees also soared to tens of thousands of people as residents began moving from independent evacuation to official evacuation as facilities became more adequate.

"So, people who were previously self-evacuating have now moved to evacuation centers. This has also increased the number of evacuees," said Suharyanto.

In West Sumatra, the death toll has risen to 129 and 118 residents are still missing.

However, he said that conditions in the province were starting to gradually recover.

Get the full experience in the app

Scroll the Globe, Pick a Country, See their News

International stories that aren't found anywhere else.

Global News, Local Perspective

50 countries, 150 news sites, 500 articles a day.

Don’t Miss what Gets Missed

Explore international stories overlooked by American media.

Unfiltered, Uncensored, Unbiased

Articles are translated to English so you get a unique view into their world.

Apple App Store Badge