President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned Russia’s “absolute disregard for words” and called for further sanctions on Saturday in the wake of two mass missile attacks on Ukraine in the space of one week.
Writing on X, Zelensky accused Moscow of using the time meant for preparing bilateral talks between Russia and Ukraine to organise new massive attacks.
After meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska – followed by a summit with Zelensky and European leaders in Washington – US President Donald Trump previously said that he expected Putin to move forward with bilateral talks between himself and Zelensky – followed potentially by trilateral talks including himself.
“I would say within two weeks we’re going to know one way or the other,” Trump said on Aug. 21.
On Thursday, Russian missiles and drones killed 25 people in Kyiv, including four children. The attack also damaged the EU’s headquarters in Ukraine, as well as two media offices – sparking international outrage.
In the early hours of Saturday morning, a country-wide missile attack killed one person in Zaphorizia and wounded dozens more.
Zelensky said that the only way to “reopen a window of opportunity for diplomacy” is to increase effective measures against the Russian economy, including banking and energy sanctions.
“This war won’t stop with political statements alone; real steps are needed,” added the president. “We expect action from the US, Europe, and the entire world.”